This summer, Direct Support Professionals employed by The Arc organizations in Maryland and individuals with IDD supported by DSPs are invited to join in on The Arc Maryland’s photo contest and the opportunity to win cash prizes for themselves and their chapter of The Arc! The overall theme for the contest is It’s Where You Belong.
Submit your photos along with the completed form below by August 19th to participate!
It’s Where You Belong
Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) support people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) to live fulfilling lives in the community. To be a successful DSP, a person must be adaptable, resourceful, compassionate, and creative. People find their calling as a DSP when they realize they are in a place they belong. DSPs also support people to find belonging in all they do – like going to a ball game, working and earning in a job they enjoy, or meeting up with friends.
With the many ways that DSPs can support individuals with IDD, the contest has four categories for submissions:
- Live – Supporting people to succeed in their everyday activities.
- Learn – Fostering growth in education and personal life.
- Work – Helping others become hard-working employers.
- Play – Enjoying life to its fullest!
One photo across all submissions will be selected and receive $500 to split evenly between the Direct Support Professional and the individual with IDD that they support. Additionally, their chapter of The Arc will receive $500 towards a celebration during Direct Support Professional Recognition Week from September 12th to 18th!
At least four honorees will be selected as winners – one in each of these four categories: Live, Learn, Work, and Play. These individual category award-winning photo submissions will receive $250, evenly split between the DSP and individual with IDD that they support.
The overall winner and winner of each category will also get the opportunity to participate in a professional photo shoot in late August/early September (TBA), where they will also receive their prizes!
- Each photo submission should include a DSP and the person with IDD that they support.
- The DSP must be employed by a chapter of The Arc in Maryland.
- The Individual with IDD must be supported by a chapter of The Arc in Maryland.
- Honorees in each winning category will be invited to attend a professional photo shoot in late August or early September in Columbia, Maryland.
- The submission must be submitted by August 19th and include completed consent forms (on following pages) for all those included in the image(s).
- Limit of one submission per category per group (up to 4 total photos may be submitted with the same individuals).
- Photo submissions should be a high-resolution photo in either a .png or .jpg format.
Direct Support Professionals employed by a chapter of The Arc in Maryland and individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities supported by a chapter of The Arc in Maryland.
Winning photos will be selected by The Arc Maryland Board of Directors based on the embodiment of the theme It’s Where You Belong and the selected photo category. Remember to be creative – think outside the box for your photos!
Winners will be contacted on August 24th for information on where to participate in the photo shoot and receive your prizes.
Winning entries will be presented to the public during DSP Recognition Week from September 12th to 18th.
For further questions or information, please contact Luc Chausse at LChausse@TheArcMD.org.