Partners in Policymaking (PIP) is a program that prepares adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD), parents, and family members of children and adults with IDD to be effective advocates at the local, state, and federal levels. Partners in Policymaking was created in 1987 by the Minnesota Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities upon their discovery that there was a need for a formal training process, covering best practices in advocacy on a variety of issues for people with IDD. The Arc Maryland relaunched the program in 2018 with incredible financial and technical support from the Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council, and in-kind support from People on the Go of Maryland.
Partners In Policymaking® is about systems change: creating, working towards, and achieving a vision of shared values about people with disabilities. Partners graduates often become lifelong and long-term agents of change in the community.
Partners in Policymaking gave me more confidence to advocate for myself and others. I also learned who to speak with to get things changed!
Dominique Palmer, 2021 Partners Graduate
Become a Partner in Policymaking
Applications for the 2021-2022 Partners in Policymaking Class are now closed. Check back with us in summer of 2022 to learn how to join the next class!
Partners Schedule and Topics
This year in the state of Maryland, up to 33 participants have been selected to participate in the program. Class members will hear from subject matter experts throughout the year on the following topics:
- October 17 and 18, 2021 (Sunday and Monday) – Virtual Session; The History of the DD Movement; Lessons Learned and the Way Forward
- November 16, 2021 (Tuesday) – Virtual Session; Developing Your Ideal Life
- December 14, 2021 (Tuesday) – Virtual Session; State Laws and Policy and Those Who Create Them
- January 16 and 17, 2022 (Sunday and Monday) – Virtual Session; Inclusive Education & Lifelong Learning/Assistive Technology
- February 22, 2022 (Tuesday) – Virtual Session; DD Day at the Legislature
- March 30, 2022 (Wednesday) – In-Person Session; Federal Laws & Advocacy in Action
- April 19, 2022 (Tuesday) – Virtual Session; Living Your Ideal Life
- May 2022 – In-Person Session; The Arc Maryland Annual Convention
- June 21, 2022 (Tuesday) – Virtual Session; Media Skills, Behavior as Communication
- August 16, 2022 (Tuesday) – In-Person Session; Taking Your Place and Graduation
Schedule Update: We will follow CDC recommendations for optimal safety of class participants. Due to continuing high numbers of COVID cases in Maryland, we recently determined that our November session will be held online. We hope to be in person in future months.
Additionally, throughout the year, Partners are challenged to identify and work on a project to inspire change in the community by exploring issues faced by people with IDD and their families.
Want to know more about the Partners in Policymaking® Program and application process? You can check out some frequently asked questions from an information call on the program through the button below!
Partners of the Past
I cannot say enough about the amazing men and women who were my fellow Partners. I have learned so much from each of them. I have gained much wisdom, insight, and friendship.
Rico Winston, 2020 Partners Graduate
Take a look back at the 2021 Partners in Policymaking class in our Partners Yearbook, available through the button below.
If you have any further questions, please contact The Arc Maryland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This project was supported, in part by grant number CFDA 93.630, from the U.S. Administration for Community Living, Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects with government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official ACL policy.