DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES DAY AT THE LEGISLATURE
Developmental Disabilities Day at the Legislature 2018 was a huge success! For copies of the fact sheets, click here.
Sponsored by the Maryland Developmental Disabilities Coalition:
The Arc Maryland
Disability Rights Maryland
Maryland Association of Community Services (MACS)
Maryland Developmental Disabilities Council
People on the Go Maryland
To learn more about the Coalition Partners, click here.
What is DD Day?
DD Day is “Developmental Disabilities Day at the Legislature.”
Join us in Annapolis for an opportunity to advance the grassroots movement for people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD).
Every day tens of thousands of Marylanders with I/DD are impacted by the public policy decisions made by the Legislature–the amount of funding available for DD services, civil rights issues like housing and transportation accessibility, education (including higher education) availability, for instance, are but some of the issues affecting those with I/DD.
This is an opportunity to help your Legislators understand the real life consequences of their decisions!
At DD Day, you will learn more about the 2018 hot topics in disability policy, then go to the House and Senate Office buildings to meet with your elected officials and their staff to discuss critical disability issues and to share your real life experiences.
The featured legislation includes Governor’s Proposed Budget, Direct Support Staff Wages, Waiting List, Children’s Issues and more!
Legislator Appointment Tips in Setting Up a Legislative Appointment on Your Own
1. Find out who represents you. Who are your elected officials?
2. Now that you have the names of your Legislators, you can click on their picture or name which will take you to their profiles. The profile page includes each legislator’s respective office phone number.
3. Call the office directly and ask to set up an appointment for DD Day on Thursday, February 22, 2018, for a time after 11:15. If they ask what the subject is, reply “I am in Annapolis for DD Day and I would like to speak to my legislator about legislation and budgets that impact people with developmental disabilities and their families.”
Note that a window of opportunity may be between 11:15 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. (lunch time) or again later in the afternoon.
4. Be sure to confirm the date and time of your appointment, then you’re all set for your meeting with your Legislator!
5. On DD Day you will have fact sheets (they will be posted on this website about 1 week before DD Day). These fact sheets can help you develop speaking points for your meetings.
6. At the meeting you may meet with your legislator or you may meet with someone on his/her staff. Do not be offended if you meet with a staff person. The legislator may have designated someone on his/her staff to specialize on a particular issue.